HeadLin: TOXIC SHOCK
The Mirror, 19/04/2002, p1
by GRAHAM TIBBETTS & SHAUN MILNE
HOSPITAL bosses last night threw up a wall of silence over claims that
Denise Hendry’s tummy operation was botched.
Football star Colin Hendry’s wife was still on a life support machine
last night with the blood infection septicaemia.
Denise, 35, was rushed to an NHS hospital after cosmetic surgery at
Preston’s private Broughton Park.
The Scottish Daily Mirror has been told her bowel may have been
punctured accidentally during a routine op.
It was suggested that, as a result of the punctures, toxins were
allowed to enter her bloodstream, causing the infection.
The information was passed to the Mirror by a source who was said they
were “horrified” about the Hendry’s plight.
So far no theory or explanation has been given
by the hospital for what could have happened.
Broughton Park owner Linda Hanson, 53, who is boss of the National
Independent Cosmetic Surgery Organisation said this week: “I cannot
speak about our patients.”
Denise had gone into the Lancashire hospital for a simple operation,
thought to have been a tummy tuck, last Wednesday.
But after her release she collapsed on Friday and was rushed to Preston
Doctors diagnosed her as suffering from septicaemia – blood poisoning –
which can cause serious organ damage.
It was claimed her bowel may have been punctured more than once.
Her family travelled from Scotland to the couple’s home in Lytham St
Annes, Lancs, the following day.
Bolton defender Colin, 36, – a former Scotland captain – has maintained
a vigil at his wife’s bedside.
The couple, who married in 1987, have four children.
A spokesman at the Scottish Centre for Infection and Environmental
Health confirmed a perforated bowel could result in septicaemia.
He said: “It is a well-known complication of bowel and stomach surgery.”
Categories: Daily Mirror articles