Holiday madness: blood on the streets


The Mirror, 07/05/2002, p4&5

A BLOODY bout of violence left two men dead, three more fighting for
their lives and scores injured in 48 hours of madness and mayhem across
Riot police had to seal off part of Edinburgh for almost eight hours as
a running battle left one man barely clinging to life and two others
seriously injured.
As many as 40 young men were involved in the hand-to-hand fighting in
the early hours yesterday and, in Dumbarton, a young dad – who saw his
new baby baptised just two weeks ago – was left bleeding to death in a
James McCallion, 25, was repeatedly stabbed by a gang late on Sunday
And a 24-year-old man was appearing in court after Andrew Burnett, 28,
died after leaving a party in Hamilton.
Among the most serious of the disturbances was the brawl in Cowgate,
EDINBURGH, which left a 24-year-old man critically ill with head
Another two men were severely beaten and were in intensive care
yesterday. Three were arrested.
The trouble flared after a row in trendy nightclub Espionage spilled
out onto the streets shortly before 1am.
Vanloads of police officers arrived to find crowds of warring men
throwing bottles and glasses. They had been alerted to the trouble by
street spy cameras.
The 24-year-old was found at the front of the nightclub. The two others
were found at the back door.
The street only re-opened at 9am after forensic teams had combed the
area for clues.
Meanwhile knife gang victim Mr McCallion was found in a pool of blood
in Ardoch Street, DUMBARTON.
He was rushed by ambulance to Vale of Leven Hospital but he died soon
Local residents said yesterday that rival teenage gangs had been
fighting in the area for days.
One pensioner said: “There was a gang fight and there were knives.
“The boy who died was with a pal.
“He was stabbed several times.”
Detectives appealed for witnesses to that incident as their murder
squad colleagues asked for help after Andrew Burnett was fatally
wounded following a party in Whitehill, HAMILTON.
Tragic Mr Burnett died in Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride.
Police are also hunting a man who committed a sex attack on a young
woman in a city centre street in INVERNESS yesterday.
Cops want to speak to a man aged between 25 and 30 after the distraught
28-year-old woman said she had been raped.
And police are still trying to trace the anonymous Good Samaritan
off-duty doctor who saved the life of an 18-year-old man after he was
assaulted by a gang outside a club in Govan, GLASGOW.
Although badly injured, he ran to the Up ‘n’ Down club in Westmoreland
Street, where he was given emergency treatment by the off-duty medic.
He is in a “serious but stable” condition in the Victoria Infirmary.
Detectives are still hunting a knifeman who held up Ladbrokes in
Anniesland, Glasgow, on Saturday before making off with a four-figure
The five members of staff were uninjured but badly shaken.


Categories: Daily Mirror articles

Leave a comment?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: