HeadLine: SAUDI BOMB SCOT LOSES SIGHT IN TERROR BLAST
The Mirror, 18/12/2000, p13
by SHAUN MILNE
THE SCOTS businessman injured by a bomb attack in Saudi Arabia has been
blinded by the explosion.
British Embassy officials in the Middle East city last night confirmed
that David Brown, 41, from Edinburgh, had lost sight in his right eye.
He also suffered burns to his neck, chest and hand after a parcel bomb
placed on his car windscreen blew up as he tried to remove it.
The married dad-of-one is being treated for his injuries at the
Al-Khober hospital but was expected to be transferred to a specialist
His wife Jo said David, a customer services manager for Coca-Cola
International, had noticed a juice carton on the windscreen after
dropping off a friend and it exploded when he picked it up.
She said that earlier, a man wearing traditional Saudi dress had
followed them while another had “given them suspicious looks” at a busy
No group had yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
It is believed that the attack was connected to two previous incidents,
and that Mr Brown was targetted because of who he worked for.
Last night, British Embassy official Cecille El Beleidi confirmed Mr
Brown, who has a baby daughter called Lucy, had been blinded.
She said: “Everything is being done to make him comfortable.”
Coca-Cola, who said they were “shocked” by the attack, were last night
understood to be flying members of the Brown family to Saudi.
The Browns married in Bahrain last year and he has worked in the
country for three years.
The bombing was the third attack on the British community in less than
Christopher Rodway, from Gloustershire, was killed when his car
exploded in Riyadh on November 17.
Three Britons and an Irish woman were then injured when an explosion
ripped through a car.
Categories: Daily Mirror articles