HeadLine: GAS BOSSES LET OFF HOOK AFTER FAMILY WIPED OUT
The Mirror, 19/03/2001, p15
by SHAUN MILNE
RED tape could let gas firm Transco off the hook after a family
perished in a burst pipe blast two years ago.
A report into the tragedy published today reveals that a large
fist-sized hole in the pipe was the source of the gas leak which led to
A spark ignited the fumes, destroying the house in Larkhall,
Lanarkshire, killing Andrew and Jeanette Findlay and their children
Stacey, 13, and Daryl, 11.
It was widely expected Transco would be brought to book but there have
been problems deciding who was responsible for the state of the pipe.
The report, to be sent to the Lord Advocate, will recommend the firm
are only charged with minor technical breaches.
Last night angry local MP Jimmy Hood said: “People in Larkhall want
answers, not explanations that it’s too technical to apportion blame.”
Categories: Daily Mirror articles